Monday, February 16, 2009

Four by Five

Last week was the first time I got to work with a view camera. While very exciting and intimidating, I waited until today to develop the film, and finally see my results. Which unfortunately weren't all that great. (I blame the film guides!!! I will never use them again!) Although its mostly my fault that they got screwed up, the camera shifted as I was loading film, and one sheet wasn't in the film holder all the way.

On the bright side the exposures were pretty good, and the focus was spot on. So now I give you the first 4 4x5 images I've ever shot. They're like my babies, well the kind only a mother could love. (That is of course not a reflection on the models, they were awesome)

OH NO! There is an umbrella in the frame!

This was supposed to be the "zeroed" shot, and it was.
The camera just got turned a bit while I was loading my film,

so it was now zeroed, and off center ever so slightly.



AHH! Jesus is getting swallowed by vignetting!
Er.. well a scene of bellows that were tilted too far...
I'm not that big on vignettes, they're nice, but not like this.



Finally, my last shot, which almost turned out perfectly,
except I didn't have the film all the way in the holder.
I did like the image despite its "unintentional cropping"
So I applied some tones in Lightroom for fun.

It was still lots of fun to work with the 4x5 camera, even if my shots didn't turn out thanks to the guides that pinched the film and prevented parts from getting developed.

I suppose you can't win them all, or in this case, any of them...

On the plus side I now get to go shoot four more 4x5s before the end of the semester, hurrah!

No comments:

Post a Comment